In this tutorial, I’m going to show you the steps on how to make an animal pompom, specifically, it’s a Polar Bear Pompom. If you have any problems or questions during the process, feel free to leave a comment below or send me a message to let me know. I’m happy to help you.
I hope this tutorial will be useful for your practice making pompom animals, and don’t forget to use hashtag #pompomwonderland to show me your artwork. I'd love to see your pompom creations.
Due to English is not my mother tongue, please excuse my mistakes. Thanks a lot.
Tools & Materials:
1. Needle felting foam.
2. Clover Pompom Maker 6.5 mm in diameter.
3. Craft glue.
4. A piece of black acrylic yarn 6cm long.
5. Paintbox DK grey yarn (shade code: Slate Grey – 105).
6. Paintbox DK white yarn (shade code: Paper White – 100).
7. Plastic safety eyes 9mm in diameter.
9. Felting needle.
10. Black wool.
11. White wool.
1. Open two upper arms of the pompom maker and use grey yarn to wrap 25 rounds on the right side of the pompom maker.
2. Then use the white yarn to cover the rest of the pompom maker with 475 rounds. Now you can see the arm covered fully and you can stop wrapping.
3. For the lower arms, wrap 500 rounds of white yarn.
4. Close both arms of the pompom maker together. Use scissors to cut the yarn in the middle along with the pompom maker.
5. After cutting, do not open the arms just yet – we have to tie a length of yarn around the middle. Cut a 12in (30cm) piece of white yarn and insert it between the arms, pull and tie it tightly. You can tie a double knot if you want. Now turn the thread around on the other side and repeat the tying. Make sure that the pompom is not tied loosely – we don't want it falling apart.
6. Remove the pompom maker. Tip: Rolling the pompom in between your palms gently will help to straighten out the yarn ends and make it easier for trimming.
7. To make the snout, use a felting needle to poke the area in circle as shown and make it firm.
8. After forming the snout, use scissors and start trimming the pompom into the shape as shown.
9. Before trimming, you can use a pair of plastic safety eyes to put into the pompom to identify the position for the eyes temporarily, so you will be able to trim the pompom into the right shape easily.
10. After trimming the pompom.
11. To make the nose, use a felting needle to poke black wool into a small round part with a short tail.
12. Use scissors to make a hole, then gradually poke the black part into the snout area. Poke the tail first and hide it inside.
13. To make the mouth, you need to make two lines beneath the nose. Use the short piece of black yarn and separate it into pieces.
14. Use the felting needle to poke those black plies to the snout as shown, try to make a letter V upside down.
15. To make two ears, use white wool and make two ears as shown.
16. Identify the ear areas on the head, then use the felting needle to attach those ear parts into the right areas.
17. Now you can take out the eyes and put craft glue on those eyes, and finally place them to the same position. And let them dry.
18. You can trim the pompom until you feel satisfied with the outcome. Now you have an adorable polar bear pompom. I hope you can make your own one successfully.
Here is the size of the bear:
And I love photographing my creations ^_^
Thanks for reading my tutorial! ^_^